Monday, March 12, 2007

A Story I Would Never Get Tired of Telling.....

(……..dedicated to my pet cat Carlo)

Since childhood I have always loved fury animal, cats and dogs alike. And as far as I could remember, I owned about 10 cats at one point in my life. My mom used to tell me, when I was a kid that I would always bring stray cats home with me, whether they be healthy or sickly, good looking or a bit unusual. My mom usually laughs at me then scolds me after???? I did not mind. I love them all!

I suppose it was an innate character of mine. I love nature and fury pets are closest to my heart.

Off course, like any other mommy (Yes, you come to accept this term when you have a pet - no jokes!!!!) you have your favorite.

I was in my 3rd year high school when a friend ( to Micheal Virata…. Hope to meet him someday to thank him) of mine gave me a Pure White Male Kitty.... who I named Carlo!!! He was about 3 months old when I got him. He was packed in a box where I got lots of scratches trying to take a peek of him. I think he was terrified of were he was and were he was about to go. The wounds hurt a lot but I was not minding them as I was too exited.
He has this big yellow eyes and super pink ears and I loved him the first time I saw him.

We grew up together. We slept together, we ate and played together. He knew all my secrets and I knew his. We shared lots of memories both good and bad. And I would recall how I normally saved from my weekly baon just to get him his favorite pasalubong…. Fish flavored munchies which I bought from a local pet shop near our house. They were quite expensive for me at that time. Hello, 3rd year pa lang po ako!

We had shared so much and I smile often when I recall after so many years ( 8 years to be exact) how my mom got so angry at Carlo at one point in time. I had to go away for a 3 day vacation with my sister in Baguio. As any worried mommy, I made arrangements with my mom, repeatedly bugging her to look after him when I was gone. I think I even got a minor pinch at my side for being so kulit. I enjoyed the vacation but I think I was more homesick because I miss him sleeping beside me. We finally arrived home one Sunday evening and upon stepping inside our house, I immediately called out for him.

At one cry, instantly he was there. When he greets me, he usually purrs and circles around me and then stands up to my legs. It signifies that its time for me to carry him in my shoulder’s as if like a baby. And then he’ll put his head over my shoulder and closes his eyes. He is most comfortable that way.

When my mom heard us, she has this funny worried look in her face and shouting at Carlo….. saying….. hay naku, yang pusa mo!!! Ilang araw di umuwi, nung wala ka, nawala na din. Paos na ako kakatawag sa kanya, di dumarating. Kala ko anon a nangyari, alalang-alala ako. Tapos ngayon, isang tawag mo lang, dyan na…. salbaheng pusa!!!! ( I was worried sick because he was gone when you were gone. I was shouting trying to call him but he never came. Now, one call from you, he is there at an instant!!!! Bad kitty) I was laughing and was so touched, I loved him even more.

I could still recall today how he would cry when we were arguing about him wanting to go out to explore and I did not allow. Maybe, if he could speak some words he would tell me that I was too strict and over protective. Hahahaha….. I suppose I am really.

Our emotions were attached and as if somehow, he knew what I was feeling. I could still clearly recall how he was always there to comfort me when I used to cry. He never left my side. We shared a very strong bond that no one else will ever have.

But off course like all good stories… it has an ending….

I lost him when he was about to turn four. He acquired sickness and finally gave up. He spent his last days in a veterinary clinic. I could still recall telling him the night before that he should wait for me tomorrow although the doctors were already not that hopeful. He did wait for me and he was still alive the following day. As I closely held him in my arms with his dextrose on, it started again and he finally bided his good bye. I think I cried for a straight week and finally stopped when his doctor gave me a dog. I suppose he saw my sadness or did I swear at him with my sobs for not doing his job? I was young then….. I could not recall.

I just know that Carlo would always have a soft spot in me that I will always cherish forever. I love you and I miss you a lot.

(I have written this with my intention of writing about my pet dog …. Tommy who just passed away recently)

No comments: